Saturday, August 1, 2009

The future is what you make it

I spent another quite few days at home. I seem to be ever more distant from others. I keep things pretty much to myself not knowing what to do with my thoughts. I called in sick last Thursday because I just didn’t feel like doing anything. Curled up in my room I decided to watch a documentary that I’ve always wanted to watch, it’s called Future by Design. It’s a documentary that inspired the movie Zeitgeist Addendum. The movie is based on Jacque Fresco's vision of the future, and what a vision it is. Many documentaries depict Doomsday like event but this one is different. It gives us hope of a better tomorrow and what the future can be. The possibility it holds is endless if we could only work together.

The future he envisioned is more technologically advance but we’re not that far off. We have some of the technology now but lack the leadership and collective conscience to really want it. There are two possible ways to see his vision to actually bare fruits; by force or by mass conversion. But I very much doubt that he, his followers and others, who want it to happen, really want it by force. Violence can lead to resentment later on. Jacque, like many other visionaries in the past lack the salesmanship to really sell his ideas, but it also lacks one very important component in today’s society, Profitability. Who will profit? And how much profit can we make? However, the very notion of capitalism is absent in his vision. And therein lays the beauty of it. Capitalism will be obsolete and so will anything else that is synonymous with it. Profit equals greed, inequality and immorality. However, even though we want a society without capitalism, as much as I hate to say it, it is the very thing that’s needed to turn this idea into reality, because Profit also equals Power, and without it, we lack the power to make it happen. I know it isn’t the only power, but it is very effective and versatile. Many science fiction movies do a great job in showing us how technology can make capitalism obsolete. So we know it can work, it’s just difficult to convince people an idea that doesn’t resembles capitalism.

Jacque said;

“We’re a crude form of life right now in the evolutionary stages; we are not even civilized yet. So, after the world joins together and we are through with military systems, prisons, torture, hunger, poverty, deprivation, when that is all gone, that will be the beginning of a civilized world. We are not there yet”.

One of my favourite quotes “It is not enough to criticize society without offering a workable alternative”

Jacque Fresco, you’ve inspired me.

No comments: