Thursday, September 25, 2008

Bruneian version2.0

Something been bothering me for a while now. It’s bordering on racism towards our own people. I’ve express my feelings about my country and its people in another blog (jasonbiggskills.blogspot.com). I’m proud to be a Bruneian, I will do everything I can to help our people see the errors of our ways.

For some, lack of a better word, are idiots. They are arrogant, ill-informed, ignorant, foolish and yes misguided. I once told an “average” Bruneian not to waste water because it’s precious and shouldn’t be used likely. For us that’s an obvious one. I proceed to point out that there is no new water in this world. The water we use is basically the same water used by our ancestors and dinosaurs. Just recycle by man and nature. But there is definitely no new water. She then used the one argument that seems to be popular, “Kuasa Allah”. Valid as that is, I countered, yes! Allah has the power to make new water. But as for the moment we don’t and therefore need to ration what we have. I continued to present my arguments and with persistent eventually persuaded her to see it my way. I did it again with her habit of open burning. I did not use foul language or big long words to explain it to her; instead I took it to her level so she can understand. To this date she doesn’t do it anymore. Still a lot to been done though. Btw, that person was actually my auntie; my second mum and I love her.

Anyway that besides my point. People like these are aplenty in Brunei and it is frustrating. But I can move beyond that and notch it up as they don’t know any better. Nothing like a proper awareness and education can cure that up.

Again that’s not my point. What I’m trying to get, is the other Bruneians. The Bruneians that seem to think they are better than the “average Bruneian”. You know who you are. The type that uses the phase “Those typical Bruneians” on Bruneians. They think just because they have it good in life, have access to better education and in privilege situation look down at other Bruneian that are not. Bruneians that don’t follow their demeanor and mentality, the Bruneian that doesn’t share their views about the world. Yes I agree with you that some Bruneians are set in their ways and difficult to change. “Orang Kunu” as they say. But the way I see it, the Bruneians that use the phrase “Typical Bruneian” are now the new Typical Bruneian. Version 2.0, if you will. If you know better then why not just teach them. Help them be more aware. Lets advocate and implement change, and the rest will follow. Never look down them, we are the same people. They are your aunties, uncles, cousins, grand parents, friends, neighbors, schoolmates, colleagues, employers and employees. We share the same birthright and spill the same blood.The only thing separating us is circumstances.

Lose this discrimination and let our bright minds come together and help Brunei achieve what it can certainly achieve. From the looks of it, Bruneian definitely can do it, potentially become better than what it already is. I don’t want to see us joining Malaysia in the Future and lose our identity and uniqueness. No offense to Malaysia, but we are Bruneians, always have and always will be.

“My fellow countrymen hear my battle cry. Enough is enough; forget our differences; let’s now stand together for the greater good that is our country and its people. You can leave this country and live mediocre lives, or choose to stay here and help make a difference and be immortalize in history as the few and the brave that change our lives forever”…

“Patriotic I see” You’re damn well right I am…

No comments: