Monday, September 22, 2008

Interview with convert

I would like to share couple of passages from an article I read entitled: A former Pentecostal preacher talks about why his spiritual path led him to Islam. Viewed from http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2008/09/22/findrelig.DTL

It’s about a 47 year old man formerly named Reginald Lenoah Royal, who for the last 30 years was a Christian Minister. 4 years ago he decided to embrace Islam and now known as Abdul Hamid Robinson-Royal. His story is not unique by any means. There are many others like him and also vies versa. However some of his views stroke a tone with me and I would just like to share a few with you.

Abdul Hamid was asked by the reporter whether terrorism is real or not. He replied “Terrorism is real. So that's not irrational. On the other hand, I'm your neighbor. I'm the guy who went to Boy Scouts with Jimmy. I helped your mother with her groceries last week. And so, if you see me going out and praying or you see some Arabic writing on my computer all of a sudden, you are looking at me from the corner of your eye. What's that about? It's still me. I'm your neighbor”

The reporter then asked, “Is that the solution, just getting to know your neighbors?” To which Abdul Hamid answers, “Isn't that silly and simple? We fear what we don't know”.

“I have a responsibility to take time with the person on the street who is asking for food or money. I have a responsibility to be the best neighbor I can be to my neighbors.”

I also loved what he had to say about living in America, “America is still the best place in the world to live and the best place to be a Muslim because of the commitment to an ideology that says - whether or not we live it out perfectly or not - that all persons are equal. The idea that this is a place where you can think and feel and say without fear of reprisal is still powerful.” I believe this very idea of freedom should be embrace by all of us.

You can read the full story from the above link. Hope it inspires you as it did me.

Personal gratitude: To Asad, thanks for putting up that article on Jason Blog, after reading it, I found an urge to find articles of similar nature. So thanks for that. And to G4, your responses are always articulate, well informed and educational. We need more people like you. Blabness, just continue being who you are. Stay true to yourself and look out for those animals, championing their rights. Hope Brunei continues to produce more good people and if it does then the future is bright.

“The most important thing is to never stop questioning” – Albert Einstein.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok let’s clarify; the 5 pillars are faith, prayer, charity, fasting and Hajj. I myself can honestly say have accepted all 5 and have fulfilled 4 of them. The 5 daily prayers is something I’m struggling at and constantly battling with myself. I can give you lots of reason and excuses to why I can’t seem to find the time (though going to gym religiously doesn’t seem to be problem), but at the end of the day that’s all it is, excuses.

That’s bring me to another point, our 6 years of Ugama education certainly doesn’t seem adequate enough to fill in the gaps and holes in our knowledge of Islam. Lots of questions still left unanswered. One can argue that 6 years of post secondary education can certainly grant you a PhD and certainly make you an expertise in that chosen field. A counter argument would be that a post secondary education is not similar, where the mind is more mature and are able to comprehend more ideas and teachings, where as the 6 six of Ugama School started early. But I think 6 years is enough, even for those early years of development stages. I think it just needs restructuring. I’m not a religious scholar by any means, but they must be a better way of teaching it. Maybe the authorities would like to research how the western countries like America, UK, and Australia teach Islam to Muslim children, while emphasizing critical and logical thinking alongside religious knowledge. That way students can then utilized what they learn and research answers to satisfy their curious minds. Hopefully it will not deviate them to other paths though.

Anonymous said...

Interesting article.

watch this video too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcgCdn8I8kU

Its about Cat Stevens' transition to Yusuf Islam

Hope it inspires too..