Friday, September 26, 2008

I'm starting with the man in the mirror...



In 1998 I saw this video on Channel V (this is when Channel V was popular back then, during the start of decoder revolution) I was inspired by its message of change. But like the song says, change should start with oneself, the “person” in the mirror (being politically correct here). The song touch something inside me that I forgot was there since I was young; the urge to make a difference, a desire to help others, and sympathy for fellow human beings. I was angry back then, angry at the all the troubles that the world has, angry at all the famine, wars, discrimination, poverty and environmental disasters. However, having grown up, that anger is now subdued. I’m not out to change the whole world anymore but rather just myself and others around me. If I can influence and implement positive change, and in the process inspire a few people then my task is done.

That’s why I think teachers and lecturers or persons in position of dispensing knowledge are in a unique place of influence. That’s why I’m seriously considering a teaching role. Influencing young minds to be and do better. I told someone about it and to which she responded “What a waste of an oversea education to end up as a teacher”. My reply was… well let’s just say I started my lecturing career early to which she will never forget. Don’t get me wrong I didn’t scold her, that doesn’t work. I just made her think. Use her head other than a hat rack.

If I manage to just influence one student a year, then it’s a positive start. I believe in the concept of paying it forward. That student will then influence others around him or her. Wishful thinking? Maybe, but there’s no harm in trying, succeeding it another matter. At least I can say I tried, I did my part.

My Primary 3 Malay (the subject, not race) teacher had quite an influence on me. The one thing she said that had stuck with me ever since was “Don’t do to others what you don’t want others to do to you”. A simple concept yes, but it opens a whole different ways of thinking at my young age. Especially viewing things from the other person and a third person perspective. I started seeing things outside myself, how my actions affect those around me. Understanding that was so powerful.

I know teachers/lecturers don’t make much money. I could double that elsewhere but the rewards is not financial. Not only will you get to influence, but you get to spend more time with your family which is what really matters. I don’t see myself working till the wee hours of the night just to chase money at the expense of family intimacy. I don't want to live that way. Again don’t get me wrong, there is absolutely nothing wrong with being ambitious. If that’s your thing then go for it. It's just not mine, I've got other priorities.

I’ll leave you with another video that also have the same message of change, aptly named Changes by Tupac Shukur. Whatever your views are of the two artists (Michael and Tupac) you must admit their message of change is long over do. And don’t worry Tupac, there will be a black president soon; Obama/Biden 2008 to which coincidently also have the message of change :-)



“Man you’re suffering from a Messiah complex” I am and I’m embracing it.
People who aren’t afraid of change, changes people (Md, 2008)

No comments: